Clear the Clutter and Setup for Success: Environmental Wellness
Set up your environment, set up for success.
Our physical environment can have a big influence on our mood, the choices we make, and our overall wellbeing. Take some time to assess your workspace, home, car, and anywhere else you spend a lot of time. If your home is cluttered and disorganized, it can increase feelings of stress; if you have only junk food in the house, it creates an extra step to having a healthy diet; if your home or the area where you live don’t allow for physical activity, it can make fitness more difficult.
Set Yourself Up for Success with These Simple Tips:
- Keep your home and workspace clean and organized.
- Decorate with things that relax you and make you happy.
- Keep live plants at home and work.
- Make a list of your wellness goals; keep it where you can see it.
- Shop for fresh, healthy foods regularly and leave the unhealthy stuff at the store.
- Keep a fruit bowl on your kitchen counter or desk at work.
- Keep a pair of walking shoes at work so you can walk at lunch or right after your shift.
- Get simple exercise equipment like an exercise ball that will remind you to be active.
- Plant a garden, even a potted herb garden in a window.
- Keep your bike or other physical activity items out and ready to use.
- Keep plenty of fresh water ready to drink.
It’s all about eliminating barriers to your health and happiness from your environment as well as setting yourself up with a space that you feel good in with healthy options. Take a look around your spaces and come up with a plan.
For assistance in creating your ideal environment, browse our Merchant Directory for environmental wellness services.
Author: Tony Montijo, BS Kinesiology, CPT, CES